Introduction to Swarm64 DA
Swarm64 DA accelerates analytical and hybrid analytical-transactional processing in EPAS 12 and 13. By improving the planning, execution, and parallelism of queries it allows EPAS to scale to larger datasets, more complex queries, and more users on the same system. Being an extension, Swarm64 DA easily supports new EPAS releases so you can benefit from all the latest features.
Swarm64 DA and S64 DA are abbreviations of Swarm64 Data Accelerator.
When to use Swarm64 DA
Swarm64 DA accelerates workloads in the following cases:
- Your dataset size is at least 100GB and it is larger than the amount of memory in the system.
- You have problematic queries with an execution time of one second or more, that you would like to accelerate.
- You have analytical queries that need to process large amounts of data.
How to obtain optimal benefits
Although Swarm64 DA may offer you an out-of-the-box speedup, you need to do the following in order to obtain maximum benefits for your particular workload:
- Install Swarm64 DA by following the appropiate guide in Getting started.
- Install a license for Swarm64 DA.
- Tune the database configuration, see Tune EPAS settings and Settings advisor for guidelines.
- Apply the Swarm64 DA features, such as the columnstore index. The columnstore index is beneficial when queries operate on indexed columns from a table with a large amount of columns, see Using a columnstore index on a small TPC-H data set.
- Remove parallelism inhibitors in your workload, see When Can Parallel Query Be Used? for an in-depth explanation of parallel queries. Swarm64 DA already avoids some of these inhibitors, see Output buffer.